St. Elmo Airport is a public-use airport located in Mobile, Al. It's owned by the Alabama Department of Transportation. It was aquired by the state in 1947. It was used for training pilots during the Vietnam War. The 738-acre expanse -- with 20 hangers and a 4,000-foot landing strip -- is now used mostly for corporate and private jets.
St. Elmo Airport has seen improvement in recent years including a new self-service fuel system, a well pump installation and a $600,000, 10-hanger construction project that was finished in 2012. The state has invested between $6 million and $8 million in capital improvements at the airport in the last 15 years and has laid out a plan for development in the event that an aerospace supplier or a training school would locate there.